Page 5 - demolizioni
P. 5
THE DISTRICT IN 1920
The map and the photo show us the situation in 1920.
The walls in our area have been built and the garden around the two temples have been arranged.
In front of the Temple of Portunus there are palaces. The one on the left can clearly be seen that it has also been raised by one floor, bringing it from 3 to four floors.
Unfortunately, in 1928, Mussolini, absolute leader of fascist Italy, decided that
the monuments had to "loom in the necessary solitude." So, with immediate effect, all the houses in the areas highlighted in purple in the photo above were demolished.
In reality, his project of grandiose accommodation in the center tended to create two arteries which, starting from Piazza Venezia, went one towards the Colosseum (which represented the glorious past of Rome), while
the other headed towards Ostia. (considered as the glorious future of fascist Rome). The demolitions began in 1929 and were only completed in 1943, after the war.